Dogging, rigging and scaffolding licences

You need a high risk work licence if you want to carry out dogging, rigging or scaffolding work in NSW.

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to undertake any dogging, rigging or scaffolding work listed below, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant 'assessment instrument' under realistic workplace conditions.

Dogging (DG)

Consists of the application of slinging techniques to move a load (including the selection and inspection of lifting gear) and/or the directing of a crane/hoist operator in the movement of a load when the load is out of the view of the crane/hoist operator.


Rigging work means the use of mechanical loadshifting equipment (and associated gear) to move, place or secure a load using plant, equipment or members of a building or structures, to ensure the stability of those members or the setting up or dismantling of cranes orhoists.

There are three type of rigging:

Basic rigging (RB)

Consists of dogging and rigging work involving:

  • movement of plant and equipment
  • steel erection
  • hoists (including mast climbing hoists)
  • placement of precast concrete
  • safety nets and static lines
  • perimeter safety screens and shutters
  • cantilevered crane loading platforms

Intermediate rigging (RI)

Consists of all basic rigging work plus rigging involving:

  • cranes, conveyors, dredges and excavators
  • tilt slabs
  • hoists with jibs and self climbing hoists
  • demolition
  • dual lifts

But excluding rigging work involving equipment listed below under Advanced rigging.

Advanced rigging (RA)

Advanced rigging – consists of all intermediate rigging work plus rigging that involves:

  • gin poles and shear legs
  • flying foxes and cableways
  • guyed derricks and structures
  • suspended and fabricated hung scaffolds


Scaffolding work is the erection, alteration or dismantling of a temporary structure erected to support a platform from which a person or object could fall more than four metres from the platform or the structure.

There are three type of scaffolding:

Basic scaffolding (SB)

Consists of scaffolding work involving:

  • modular or prefabricated scaffolds
  • cantilevered materials hoists with a maximum working load of 500 kg
  • ropes and gin wheels
  • safety nets and static lines, and
  • bracket scaffolds (tank and formwork)

Intermediate scaffolding (SI)

All basic scaffolding work plus scaffolding connected with the use and operation of:

  • cantilevered crane loading platforms
  • cantilevered and spurred scaffolds
  • barrow ramps and sloping platforms
  • perimeter safety screens and shutters
  • mast climbers
  • tube and coupler scaffolds (including tube and coupler covered ways and gantries)

Advanced scaffolding (SA)

All intermediate scaffolding work plus scaffolding connected with the use and operation of:

  • cantilevered hoists
  • hung scaffolds, including scaffolds hanging from tubes, wire ropes or chains
  • suspended scaffolds

Note: advanced certificates cover the requirements for the intermediate certificates; intermediate certificates cover the requirements for the basic certificates.

Eligibility criteria

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years old
  • complete a recognised training course and have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work

Application process

The assessor will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training and assessment. You will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.

You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back, you can read our new application information sheet for more details.

The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.

Replace a  licence

Your high risk work licence can be replaced online or you can post your application to replace a high risk work licence to us.

Renew a  licence

We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post office, you can read our renewal information sheet for more details.

If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact on 13 10 50.