Hoist licences

You need a high risk work licence if you want to operate a hoist in NSW.

Hoists come under four basic categories. They are:

  1. boom-type elevating work platform
  2. materials hoist
  3. personnel and material hoists

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to operate the types of hoists listed below, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant 'assessment instrument' under realistic workplace conditions.

Boom -type elevating work platform (WP)

Covers the operation of telescoping devices, hinged devices, or articulated devices (or any combination of these) used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated to perform work and where the boom length is 11 metres or more.

The length of the boom is the greater of the following:

  • the vertical distance from the surface supporting the boom-type elevating work platform to the floor, with the platform extended to its maximum height
  • the horizontal distance from from the centre point of the boom's rotation to the outer edge of the platform, with the platform extended to its maximum distance

A WP high risk work licence is required when operating a telehandler fitted with a personnel box with operating controls in the box, and the boom length is 11 metres or more.

Materials platform hoist (HM)

Covers the operation of a builder's hoist by which only goods or materials and not personnel may be hoisted and where the car, bucket or platform is cantilevered from, and travels up and down externally to, a face of the support structure.

Personnel and material hoists (HP)

Covers the operation of a builder's hoist in which personnel, goods and/or materials may be hoisted, and which comprises a car, structure, machinery or other equipment associated with the hoist, and which may be either a cantilever hoist, a tower hoist, or a multiple winch operation.

Eligibility criteria

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years old
  • complete a recognised training course and have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work.

Application process

The assessor will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training and assessment. You will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.

You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back, you can read our new application information sheet for more details.

The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.

Replacing a licence

Your high risk work licence can be replaced online or you can post the application form to replace a high risk work licence or general construction induction cardto us.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office, you can read our renewal information sheet for more details.

If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact on 13 10 50.