Pressure equipment licences

You need a high risk work licence if you want to operate certain types of reciprocating steam engines, turbines and boilers in NSW.

Before you can apply for a national licence to perform high risk work to operate the types of pressure equipment listed below, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must assess your training, skills and knowledge using the relevant 'assessment instrument' under realistic workplace conditions.

Reciprocating steam engine (ES)

This licence allows you to operate and use a reciprocating steam engine containing a piston of 250 millimetres or more in diameter, including expanding (steam) reciprocating engines.

Turbine (TO)

This licence allows your operate and use:

  • a turbine that has an output of 500 kilowatts or more and
  • is multi-wheeled or
  • is capable of a speed  greater than 3,600 rpm or
  • has attached condensers, or
  • has a multi-stage heat extraction process

Standard boiler (BS)

This licence allows you to operate a standard boiler with a single fuel source that does not have a pre-heater, superheater or economiser attached.

Advanced boiler (BA)

This licence allows you to operate a boiler, including a standard boiler, which may have one or more of the following:

  • multiple fuel sources
  • pre-heater
  • superheater
  • economiser.

For licence holders issued with a licence before 1 January 2015

From 1 January 2015 there are only two boiler classes:

  • standard boiler (BS)
  • advanced boiler (BA)

The requirements for the previous basic boiler (BB), intermediate boiler (BI) and advanced boilers (BA) licences have now been compressed into the two new licence classes.

Basic boiler (BB) licence holders

If you hold a basic boiler (BB) licence you do not need to take any action and we will update your licence to the new standard boiler (BS) when you renew your licence.

Intermediate boiler (BI) licence holders

The components of the old intermediate boiler (BI) class have now been split between the two new boiler classes.

If you hold an intermediate boiler licence and you need to operate a boiler with advance features you must enrol with an RTO to undertake advanced boiler operation training and assessment.

Advanced boiler (BA) licence holders

You do not need take any action if you hold an existing Advance boiler (BA) licence

Eligibility criteria

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years old
  • complete a recognised training course and have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work.

Application process

The assessor will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training and assessment. You will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.

You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back, you can read our new application information sheet for more details.

The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.

Replacing a licence

Your high risk work licence can be replaced online or you can post an application form to replace a high risk work licence to us.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office, you can read our renewal information sheet for more details.

If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact on 13 10 50.