Reach stacker licences

A reach stacker incorporates an attachment for lifting, moving and travelling with a shipping container, but does not include a portainer crane.

To operate a reach stacker with a capacity of more than three tonnes in NSW, you will need to hold a high risk work licence in the reach stacker class (RS), or one of the slewing mobile crane classes being C0, C1, C2  or C6.

To obtain a reach stacker licence you will need to enrol with a registered training organisation and successfully complete the required training and licence assessment.

Eligibility criteria

You are eligible to obtain a licence if you:

  • are at least 18 years old
  • complete a recognised training course and have been assessed as competent by an assessor working for the RTO
  • can use English at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk work.

Application process

The assessor will have the application forms you need for a new card after you have completed your training and assessment. You will then take those forms to your nearest Australia Post office as well as 100 points of ID.

You will also need to bring with you a passport sized and quality photo of yourself with your name and date of birth printed on the back, you can read our new application information sheet for more details.

The application fee is outlined in our list of fees and charges.

Replacing a licence

Your high risk work licence can be replaced online or you can post an application form to replace a high risk work licence to us.

Renew a licence

We will mail a renewal form to you two months before your licence is due to expire. You will need to complete the form and lodge it at an Australia Post Office, you can read our renewal information sheet for more details.

If you have not received your renewal notice or need any assistance, please contact on 13 10 50.