To purchase, use, store, manufacture, supply and transport fireworks you need a licence.

If you want to use fireworks there are two types of licences:

If you want to manufacture fireworks or supply fireworks you will need a different explosives licence.

Pyrotechnicians licence

A pyrotechnicians licence authorises you to conduct one of these types of fireworks displays as specified on the licence:

  • ground display fireworks
  • theatrical and indoor fireworks (close proximity)
  • Chinese string fireworks
  • aerial shells (up to 300mm)
  • aerial salutes up to 75mm.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for these licences you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance (pyrotechnician application only)
  • have the necessary qualifications, experience and knowledge.

Application process

First complete the pyrotechnician application form.

Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:

  • certified copies of qualifications issued by a recognised institute (if applicable)
  • if applying for mutual recognition a certified copy of front and back of interstate explosive licence
  • 100 points of ID (originals only).

All application fees are listed in our list of fees and charges.

Amending a pyrotechnicians licence

Complete the amendment to a pyrotechnician's licence form to change the pyrotechnician authorisation such as adding additional fireworks classes).

Replace a pyrotechnicians licence

Complete the replace an explosives, pyrotechnicians or blasting licence, or your security clearance application form.

For more information see our guide to applying for a pyrotechnician's licence or call 13 10 50.

Fireworks single use licence

A fireworks (single use) licence (FSUL) can only be issued  for:

  • ground displays
  • Chinese strings
  • theatrical/indoor displays.

A single use event or display can be:

  • a one day event
  • an event of up to three consecutive days
  • an extended display.

Only an individual can apply for a FSUL using the application form and it will only be valid only for the event or display for which it is issued. A maximum of four licences may be issued in any 12 month period.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for a FSUL licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age or over;
  • have successfully completed training/instruction given by a person with a current pyrotechnician’s licence or pyrotechnician’s permit in the safe use of the fireworks to be used for the event or display
  • will use the fireworks only for an organised public event and have a supporting letter from the local council stating they have no objections;
  • have provided details of the fireworks to be used
  • can demonstrate you have notified the police, fire brigades, local council and any other relevant agencies.

The Fireworks (single use) licence application form (FE03) must be lodged with us.

For more information see our guide to applying for a fireworks (single use) licence or call 13 10 50.

Special requirements

It's a requirement that an individual has completed a training course or attained a level of competence in the safe use of display fireworks for the purpose of obtaining a licence.

We will not issue a FSUL licence unless you can provide proof you have notified the police, fire brigades and local council as well as any other relevant agencies.

Obligations and duties

You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence details.

Pyrotechnicians must notify us before carrying out any displays.

There are specific operational conditions that apply when conducting a fireworks display.  See the operational conditions for pyrotechnician's and single use fireworks licences for more information.

We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.